Honorary West Midlander

Yes, I can now claim this title for the following reason. Two weeks ago I found myself in the Binley Mega Chippy. It is the local, and very good chip shop near to work.

The story started, as I've mentioned, two weeks ago as I was queuing for some chips for our fortnightly, chips Friday event. The shop was absolutely heaving and everyone was asking for a scollop batch. Which seemed interesting, but not something I thought about, until I went back to work and mentioned it to my personal baker, who one day will be on the great British bake off! The conversation continued like this;

"I think I'll get some fish next time. I didn't realise that they did scallops!"

This then leads to the discovery that actually in mega chippy they weren't huge fans of fish, but actually, were fans of potato!!

It seems in Coventry, and the West Midlands that a scollop is a poor mans scallop! It turned out to be a deep-fried potato hash in a batter. This is then placed in a bread roll, or according to the people at work a batch!! 

I was told that had I asked for a deep-fried potato in a bread roll, I would have been laughed out of the chip shop as a soft Devonian idiot. It's called a 'scollop batch'!!

So, as custard is to the Devonian then the scollop batch is this to the folk of Coventry, and so it seems the whole of the West Midlands. And I had never ever heard of such a thing!

Two weeks later I find myself on my self imposed mission to purchase for the grand sum of 60p a scollop batch!! 

It was nice. Again, I was told that I should have added vinegar for the full effect. That is what'll happen next time. It does now seem that after 41yrs I can now claim to be an honorary 'Coventrian', and also I guess by geography, 'west midlander'. 

When I go back into work next week I am expecting some form of medal and/or certificate.

Here is then, the magical Scollop Batch!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A nice sandwich for dinner

My relatives criminal Past....

Olympic Vomiting