Great European Pop.

I nerdishly have a great love of cheesy Euro pop. I mainly keep this under control as I've not heard any great stuff of late but in the early ninties, euro pop was at its height in power and style, here's a little taster of what you may have come across/

Yello, the race.



Almost my earliest introduction to the wonderful world of europop and to a certain extent began my love of synthesiser music of the mid 80's as there was a synth version on a synthesiser album I had, but this is the original, showing that most europeans do almost look like comedy french policemen, or very scary men who would now be on some form of register.


scorpions, winds of change




Truly, great political oratory wrapped up in a gem of a track. I love this song, still do. I am particularly drawn in by the initial whistling. I don't want to under sell this song but it ended 80 years of communism in the east of europe, now that is impact.


2 Unlimited, No limits




I do remember having a crush on the girl singer, I guess it was from my love of chivalry and the idea of a woman wearing breastplate armour appealed to me as a 17yr old and she was european, what more can a 17yr old boy from Devon want; A) She's wearing armour, so may well know where a magic sword could be found, and b)Is European, therefore by her very nature, exotic and mysterious, as at that age the furthest I'd been was York.

Whigfield, Saturday Night



Yes, I did know the dance and I could do it, probably still could if I got back into the groove. My abiding memory was being part of a conger line, congering out of window, obviously onto a balcony, (If there hadn't been a balcony it would have been classed as a conger fuelled novelty suicide, by the coroner, I would imagine) listening to this in a Torquay hotel at the Holy ball dressed in a dinner Jacket and a gorgeous fire engine red bow tie and matching cumberband.


Ace of Base, I saw the sign



Never quite figured out what the sign was, I think it was leading them to the taste police for a serious questioning and rubber hose treatment.


Dr Alban, Its my life




Okay, I will admit, I still actually think this is a good song and will stand proud to argue this point.


AHA, hunting high and low.




infinitely better than take on me. I will not argue that it's a better video. I still enjoy the Take on me video, it was so cutting edge at the time. But I just think this is a better song and of course, they did a Bond theme too, which ranks them high on Theakers cool-o-meter. Though I imagine actually admiting to having a cool-o-meter means I am probably really rather un-cool. Fortunately I have a lovely wife who keeps reminding me that I am really the coolest, trendiest person she has met. I often laugh as she is rubbish with weather as she keeps saying to me 'anorak' and on some days it's not even raining when she says it to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A nice sandwich for dinner

My relatives criminal Past....

Olympic Vomiting