There are places I remember all my life

This is a Beatles lyric a friend of mine posted on his Facebook site a few months ago. It is from one of the beatles more introspective records. It got me thinking then of music and things I remember and I found myself thinking of who I have seen and whose music has really touched, and changed my life and thoughts. Because that is what really good music can do, reach inside and change you, provoke you, engage you and even seduce you. It hasn't changed from Mozart to Beatles, the power of music is one of the worlds most powerful creative forces, alongside Literature and Art. Like those it has continually changed, but still its essence is the same. So here we go on a tour of who Tony, has paid money too see and be entertained by;

Pink Floyd - Legendary Band from the Mid 60's to the Nineties. No one can listen to the wall, the final cut and not know music as thought provocation. Spent my formative years devouring the back catalogue and altering my view of the world. London

Janes Addiction - USA alternative in the late 1980's and have huge cult following. making another comeback, this year!

Thea Gilmore (3 Times) - Found Thea through a Guardian music article, so eloquent I bought the album and was not let down. for a while there I saw her every year for three in Nottingham. The sad thing about Thea is that she deserves to be huge, but her fans don't want her to be, as she's like the little secret.

Laura Veirs (2 TIMES) - Quirky US americana musician.

Beautiful South (2 times) - One of the best live bands I saw. great show. But now split up.

REM - One of the 90's Giants of Rock, saw them at the Forest Ground in the rain. They were excellent and supported by the Zutons, who were equally good. One of the nest bands of the last 20 years, but now I can take or leave their stuff, post New Adventures in Hi-fi.

Pearl Jam - Okay, now these are arguably one of the biggest, critically acclaimed, bands in the world. They were there at the start of the Grunge era, when I was getting into music and have lived my life in time to Pearl Jam releases! This was the best concert I have attended for sheer quality, it was in Dublin, too! I waited 15 years to see them.

U2 - the biggest band in the world? Probably. I have loved U2 since I heard the Joshua tree and have every album since then. There were me and a few friends and 80,000 Irish in Croke Park, again in Dublin, for a Dublin band, It was amazing. All that weekend in every shop and Pub in Dublin, they played U2 it was surreal.

Tori Amos (2 times) - US kate Bush. Never stopped loving her really and her music, such a big crush.

PJ Harvey - west country girl, tiny woman who made so much big noise, in her flurescent high heel shoes and red patterned dress. That's what cider does to you.

Nine Inch Nails - The heaviest, darkest concert I have been to, In birmingham, in the dungeon that is the academy. Trent Reznor is an absolute legend of Gothic style rock.
Stunning night.

Jethro Tull - Late 60's folk musician Ian Andersons band. A lifetime dream achieved a few years ago when they came to Derby.

Radiohead - best english band of last 10 or so years, Ok computer is continually voted one of the best albums of all time, they are great live too.

Jamiroqui - Never a massive fan of Jay Kay, but here's the advice, never ever miss the opportunity to see him live. It's an incredible experience and he's a legend live.

Steeleye span - late 60's folk, and all around my hat stuff here, in Mansfield. It was great we were the youngest there by about 40years and they even had st Johns stationed in the auditorium!

David Byrne - Front man of Talking heads and most intellectual musician Live, from point of view of musical influences and willing ness to experiment, never expected him to perform an Italian operatic Aria after, 'burning down the house'.

Christy Moore - Irish folk music, banned for many years due to his political anti-british songs. A great musician and a wonderful, soulful voice.

Joglaresa - A female singer who sings Italian historical peasant music. Not everyones taste.

Alicia Keys - US singer and songwriter kind of thought she was the next Tori Amos.

Comments

Anonymous said…
The "New Beautiful South" (reformed without Paul Heaton) are playing at the Rescue Rooms in Nottingham next week (25th March).

Popular posts from this blog

A nice sandwich for dinner

My relatives criminal Past....

Olympic Vomiting