The Joys of Real Ale, dirty dish water.

I have had a fairly early starts to the past couple of days. Today was spent being a leader for the day with the leaders of the Notts Councils, as our leader is heading to Harrogate. It was though, in Retford. A town in the North of Notts and not especially easy to get to via public transport. It is a nice market town though, quite surprising in some of the older buildings it possessess and a nice town hall I attended. But this is not the point. I managed to get home at about 5.30ish having left there at 4pm and I was tired, so I went out and came back with 2 small bottles of beer. One from the lake district I sampled the sneck lifter, which is a very dark ale and very nice accordingly, for a dark ale. (though I would also recommend the Crag Rat). If you do have a look at their site, please see the greatest advert I noticed when I did, simply, but effectively labelled. "Competition - Win Beer". How great is that.

The other is from the St Austell brewery A much paler ale, which I prefer from the two. But on the st austell site, how cool is this landlord, now that will serve some good pub food. And anything that contains a variety of Hop, called 'Fugles' deserves to be enjoyed.

Again, I leave the point, somewhere in the past. So, onto the meat of it. I cannot quite remember how I got into Real Ale, but it was a long time ago and I sit in Pubs watching people drinking Fosters, Budweiser, etc and cringe on the inside clutching my pint of real ale. Which if I can't have then I will have bitter. There are few lagers I enjoy and they tend to be from bohemia, as opposed to American, gut rot lager.

The english have a lot to be proud of, but I think our brewing of Real Ale is certainly one of the best things to be proud of, as we excel in being able to produce such fantastic varieties of Ale. And I have sampled a fair few here, At real ale heaven, and boy did my friend Duncan and I have some great evenings here, going through, as best we could, the beers on offer.

I believe Real Ale is like posh food. You can tell the difference between normal restaurant food and a michelin starred restaurant. Usually about £60 per meal I found! But when you eat it you just taste the difference. When I went, many years ago to a 1 star michelin restaurant, I was so sceptical about paying for food that was just overpriced as food is food. I remember leaving the table realising that I had had the best meal I had ever eaten. Once I sampled it I knew that it was better. There are some who perhaps won't believe what I am about to say, and I, sometimes don't believe I do myself, as It isn't in my nature. But that meal, as expensive as it was, was afterwards and eaten, worth every single penny.

And this is what I feel about real ale, compared to all the other lagers etc. Real Ale is the michelin of the alcohol world, because unlike mass produced Lagers such as Bud and Fosters, stella, etc. It has taste and it is different for every pint. Your taste buds when drinking real ale have a job to do, to separate all the flavours and too me, the other added bonus is that Real ale, when drunk recalls memories with the differing flavours.

The whole reason for this post is that after sipping the Cornish Ale. I think of gorgeous summer evenings, mostly spent in Devon sat in a pub beer garden around the wooden tables. The air is still warm and I am with my friends and we are laughing and joking. Just really enjoying life and our company, the cares of the world, for that brief evening, are removed from all our thoughts. I love being in that almost virgillian Idyll.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A nice sandwich for dinner

My relatives criminal Past....

Olympic Vomiting