Faith

You’d think that 2016 would give us a little respite in celebrity passing but no. It continues apace with the sudden news of George Michael. His music was never quite my music. I was too young to be a fan of the music of his first band, Wham. And as I grew up I was more into heavier music than the pop music that they epitomised. By the time of his solo music release I was a convicted Pink Floyd, and Pearl Jam groupie. Grunge and Rock was where I stood. As George Michael dominated the single charts so I listened more to the album bands.

That’s not to say he didn’t have an impact. He was an international superstar of the 80’s. His image and his sound was iconic. I remember him during the Freddie Mercury tribute concert in 1991 where he made it his own. His rendition of Queen classics became such a powerful image.

His later life and music was often controversial from this point on. His musical highs were so high, but his personal lows, very low. His talent, however, was undeniable. As was his battle with prejudice which his sexuality made him a prime target for.


The man himself, flawed and controversial, undoubtedly. As a creative man? He was almost peerless. Regardless what you thought of the music, his voice was a gift. It was a gift he blessed fans with. I know one woman who I worked with, who, upon hearing this news will be distraught. I am sure around the country there will be many more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A nice sandwich for dinner

My relatives criminal Past....

Olympic Vomiting