Church Bells

For the first time in many years I find myself, and my family, ensconced in Devon for Christmas. This is quite a rare occurrence for us as it rarely falls kindly. What with all the distances involved it doesn’t make for an easy trip. However, this year the calendar has helped us and, well, here we are.

It is not a very Christmassy place, Devon, when you consider that Devon is the God favoured county in England. There will be little in the way of snow anywhere here apart from the Dartmoor peaks. Whereas Kirkby will at some point get a covering of some snow. Brixham is far to near to the coast for snow. I think in 25 years I only saw snow once in that time.

The other difference between Brixham and Kirkby is one of a church nature. It is something that is lacking in Kirkby In Ashfield but is quite common here, in Brixham. It’s bells. More accurately, Church bells.

It only something I notice when I come down here. There are two churches in the town and they both have church bells. They are rung very frequently and I love the sound. I have only started to realise that I love the sound of church bells as a background noise. There is something so wonderfully reassuring about them. It is a soundtrack, perhaps, of a perception of what England is.


I only notice this discrepancy when I come to visit. Odd, isn’t it. This one thing I notice keenly is a background sound.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A nice sandwich for dinner

My relatives criminal Past....

Olympic Vomiting