The return of the books

It turned out to be a rather eventual last 6 months of 2018. We moved house in November, but the initial process began wat back in July, at the height of what was a lovely, hot summer. When we moved in, finally, it was dark and cold. 

The most immediate benefit of this was having a substantially larger property to live in. With more bedrooms, a garage and a larger garden you could say we have space to burn and by any stretch of the imagination I have begun to utilise this space.

To my hearts delight I have been able to move my books, my precious books, from the loft and now, into a place of prominence: where books deserve to be. 

In this case, to hide some especially unappealing wallpaper the decision was taken to cover this with bookshelves. 




So, after a trip to ikea and much lugging about with heavy packages and then, the obligatory, faffing about with flat packs the shelves were ready to be secured to the wall. The wallpaper began to disappear as they went up. It took quite some time I can tell you. 

The joy of having some time off work was really helpful as it could be turned around much quicker than if I had just weekends to do stuff and so, like Hercules, my task was over fairly soon and when standing back, admiring my handiwork the house we moved into suddenly looked better. 

Now though, the really hard part started and that involved unpacking the 30 or so boxes that had been previously packed up and stored. This took longer than putting the shelves up! However, after a few days it looked absolutely beautiful. 









Cicero once said, ‘a house without a library is like a house without a soul.’

The house, this very house, now has a soul. A good, solid soul. 

Now my daughters bedroom. That’s another story, but that room has a soul too!!’

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A nice sandwich for dinner

My relatives criminal Past....

Olympic Vomiting