Undulating as an optimistic description

This evening my wife and I went out for a walk in Brixham. We reached a T junction where we would normally turn left and head along to Berry Head and the Napoleonic forts. This year we took the right hand path. This is also part of the south west coastal path that circumnavigates Devon and Cornwall. From Brixham it takes you towards St Mary’s bay, and Mansands and the next beach along, the nudist beach,Scabbacombe beach. 







Most of the pathway follows the coastline quite rightly, but here was the initial pathway along towards the first beach of St Mary’s. From this point onwards you get pretty close to the headlands and cliff edges. This walk from St Mary’s to Kingswear (approximately 7 miles) can at points be fear inducing from the narrowness of the path to the fact that a metre lunge to your left and you have 200ft to meet your maker. However the very necessity of taking your life into your hands leads you along the path to Mansands and the views of my hometown go from pretty nice to absolutely spectacular. These were the walks I grew up with, and it’s the scenery I grew up with. I had forgotten how beautiful these views were. 







Brixham. Following the coastal path is pure Devon. Wonderful rolling hills, hills that roll into cliffs that  then roll into the English Channel. I was fortunate to be born into this part of the world. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A nice sandwich for dinner

My relatives criminal Past....

Olympic Vomiting