Ravenshead. Of all the places in the world you come to Ravenshead

Beverley Craven was, arguably, a one hit wonder. That one hit came in 1991. I know it well. Beverley Craven's 'Promise me', was the second vinyl single I bought in my life. The first, I have probably blogged about was Billy Joel's 'We didn't start the fire'. Both bought from Woolworth's in Brixham. In fact they were the only vinyl singles I bought as cassette singles then took over and I moved over to them for both singles and Albums. This is the age when you used to record the top 40 on a blank tape when there was a song you wanted to have.

I dread to think what would have been on those tapes! I can vaguely remember, Right Said Fred's 'deeply dippy' and Reeves & Mortimer 'Dizzy'. (I was young. I didn't know any better!) Though in all fairness I will always defend Right Said Fred as a great pop band!

However, they were as far removed from Beverley Craven as night is from day. She was seemingly elegant and piano based, and lovely. Harmless. Defined entirely as 'middle of the road'. What we would now call Radio 2 fodder. At the time, in 1991, I got myself the single.

Here it is for memories sake;



It is of it time. I'll admit that. Though, in all fairness this was never my favourite song. As with Billy Joel and his vinyl single. The B sides seemed to be better than the A sides sometimes. For those born after 2000ACE the B side was what was on the other side of the record. In this case her B side was head and shoulders above Promise Me. It is probably, when i'm in the right mood still one of my all time favourite songs.



I listen to the rain. The far superior B side to Promise me, by a country mile, in my opinion. The reason I love this song so much is how it became connected to my favourite set of books. I was reading them at the time while heavily playing this song. The one became a part of the other. When I re-read the books I hear this song, and when I hear this song I remember me sitting on my bed in the attic bedroom listening to this song.

The books were, initially, a trilogy that was built on. It was written by Isaac Asimov and called 'The foundation series'. It is a work of classic Science fiction by a man whose creative mind was perhaps without equal. It was also a time when my whole world was disintegrating. The escapism of Asimov was a life saver in so many ways.

Therefore, I have a very personal link to Beverley Craven. A Beverley Craven who I was stunned to discover is touring this year, in April and will be performing live no more than 3 miles from where I live, in a village called Ravenshead! Live at the Village Hall. Having looked at the quality of the artists who have or will be performing at the Village Hall this year, Beverley Craven is remarkably incongruous: Hugely talented and although 20 years ago a relatively famous artist. The rest of the list of performers would be a who's who of music to avoid at all costs.

And there in lies the rub. The tickets are £22! For a village Hall in a tiny Nottinghamshire Village. I have paid less to see bigger and better bands in the centre of Nottingham itself. It is massively overpriced. Someone obviously thinks there is a market for this cost. I'd be interested to see how many turn up.

It crossed my mind, but £22 for an artist, hoping, on the off chance that she might play a 25 year B side track (which would be fully worth the £22 by the way! I cannot express my adoration of this song), but it's a huge and expense risk I couldn't take in the end. It's very similar reason as to why I have never paid to see Bob Dylan. It's too much of a risk.

So, amazement put aside. If any one does go, have a great night. Undoubtedly she will play Promise me. If she plays, Listen to the rain. Don't tell me. Ignorance is bliss!













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A nice sandwich for dinner

My relatives criminal Past....

Olympic Vomiting