Tis the season to be jolly.

For some, this sentiment may be a week too late, but I am not talking Christmas here, I am talking the sporting season and for me, Late Christmas/early january is about one sport and one sport only. The stunning world of Professional Darts! I confess, I probably am a fairly middle class bloke from fairly working class roots, which is why I enjoy the Poetry of Juvenal, the histories of Thucydides, the works of ayn Rand, but what I also enjoy is a good old fashioned darts match at the Lakeside in January!
I have been a huge fan of darts for many years now, and my wife sometimes finds it hard to believe that I actually belonged to a darts team a decade ago in a midweek darts league, playing for the orchid house hotel in Devon. I have run marathons and played in football cup finals, but these were never as enjoyable as a night out at the pub or away, throwing some arrows, with the hotel flights attached having a nice curry for the break, laughing and joking with your mates, while throwing darts in competition. I was never a great darts player, but I did get fairly good for a pub side and having played a bit, when you play alongside County standard players you realise just how good the players you watch on Tele are! It's one of the most skillful games you can play, seriously, it's difficult to cheat at darts, how do you improve your performance with drugs? It's one of the cleanest games in the world and what's more, every player is a character. Phil Taylor had won 14 world titles, pretty much consecutively, yet he's never thought of as one of britains greatest sportsmen, which is a disgrace to my mind. But the type of people behind him, like Raymond Barneveld, the dutch postman, Co Stompe, another good dutchman. One of my favourites, Tony O shea, the silverback. Martin 'The wolfman' adams, Ted 'the count' hankey, rocket ronnie baxter. All legends of the game. Now, I have seen the BDO lakesdie tournament over the last few years go from the pre-eminent darts tournament, falling at the hands of the PDC event, which has taken most of the most recognisable and talented players to their stable and tournament, and they of course boast Phil Taylor, the greatest darts player of all time, still virtually invincible. But the Lakeside is an iconic event in itself, yes the quality of player may be less, but it's still an event not to be missed. The ultimate combination would be the PDC/BDO unifying to play at the legend that is the lakeside, but I doubt we'll see this, but money does talk as they say and the PDC have the money. But whatever happens, never forget just how great the sport of darts is. I for one will be watching to see if the silverback can win this years.

But here is a classic lesson on darts by a true character of the Game, Bobby George, an early 80's player and the epitome of the Jewelry liking darts player;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/darts/8434226.stm

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A nice sandwich for dinner

My relatives criminal Past....

Olympic Vomiting