Okay So I Crumbled In The End

Sadly it's true. I have over the previous year been saving what money has come my way, such as birthday and christmas, etc. Mainly because I haven't managed to think of anything I really wanted at all and to a certain extent I have managed to curb my excesses by my lovely wife, who has been nothing if not a calming influence, at times. I have managed to curb my love of books and CD's but this has been helped by not really having or making time to read of late with a young family and the library has been, as always a good source of reading material. The Notts catalogue has always been superior to the Devon catalogue and when I had to buy books because there was, at that point, no internet and therefore I had read most of the books from the local libraries within a 10mile radius. The music was pretty similar as now with Spotify I have access to most decent new music coming out and my back catalogue of music is as it has always been, excellent and well balanced from Led Zeppelin to Lute music of the Elizabethan era! So, apart from that I don't really spend on anything on a monthly or yearly basis. The two exceptions have recently proved to be pens and Gadgets. I do love a nice pen and I certainly love a nice new gadget. 


To this end I have been prevaricating between what I would prefer the amazon Kindle or the Apple Ipad. I have been gravitating towards the kindle as it is substantially cheaper and is singularly an E-book reader and the reviews are impressive too and at just over a £100 it was quite high on my radar as I have just passed through my 35th *cough* I had the money to easily purchase the Kindle and was sorely tempted, but then as always my wife came to the rescue with her inherent wisdom. The idea was put into my mind by her that although the ipad is not a patch on the kindle as a pure e-reader, proving that in gadgets, single purpose devices will always outperform multi-functional devices on the whole, but it does give you more but does come at a price, over three times as much to be exact.


My wife therefore suggested that I could save for longer and get an Ipad instead, which has always appealed as it is a thing of imaginable beauty and I had occasion to toy with one at PC World, every now and again. It was aesthetically pleasing to say the least as most Apple design tends to be. I thought to myself that this made sense and would entail another couple of years worth of saving but as the years go by so the price drops too, when new models are bought out. It so happened that Apple released the Ipad 2, which gave it two cameras mainly, which has meant that the original Ipad has reduced in price by over £80. At which point I had a thought to myself that I owned something that I had had for many years and although I enjoyed having them they served no real purpose, but I knew they were of some value, so I actually for the first time in 10yrs got off my butt and had them valued. Both Medals from WW1 came back valued at a couple of hundred pounds as they were not a full set, sadly I have never been able to complete the set. Armed with this knowledge and the lower cost of the entry level Ipad. I thought to myself, well why not sell them, so I did and the money enabled me to cover the cost of the reduced Ipad. This is it.




It's pretty darn cool, I have to say. Is it worth the money. As a former sceptic, I think it probably is. My wife would rather have a netbook, which could be a £100 cheaper and she makes very valid points and I understand them. But I will stick with a review I once read on the ipad when it came out. 'What it does well, it does very well, better than anything around. but it does not do some things too.' 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A nice sandwich for dinner

My relatives criminal Past....

Olympic Vomiting