Sudbury Hall



Sudbury Hall, above, is home to the museum of childhood. It is deep within south Derbyshire, within the very pretty village of Sudbury. As you can make out form the frontage it is a rather impressive and interesting place with lots of architecturlal flourishes. It's not particularly huge, in the grand scheme of English houses, but it's perfectly formed. 

The museum of childhood was very interesting and the odd bit or piece reminded me of the toys I had when I was younger. They were particularly strong on the Victorian times where, ultimately it could be argued, children didn't really have much of a childhood. Compared to today's day and age, they had an awful time. Children, especially poorer children were essentially economic units that were used to ensure familial survival and an escape from work houses. 

Very different to today. I think I was one of the last generations of working children. Before going to school I did a good 2 or so hours a day delivering papers, about 12hrs a week, not including the weekend. I got paid, at the age of 14/15 about £5 a week for this. This works out at the vast fortune of about 40p an hour! (I did manage to boost this on a weekend by doing a Sunday round for a sum of £3 but the drawback was the weight of those Sunday papers. 

We still have poverty but we have worked hard on shrinking absolute poverty. We have comparative poverty but this is not an absolute form. The children are doing alright. 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A nice sandwich for dinner

My relatives criminal Past....

Olympic Vomiting