Mrs Marple

I am now only 4 novels away from concluding the 2nd Agatha Christie challenge; Reading in chronological order the Mrs Marple book's.

Four away. I have to be honest I have at times very much so struggled with the character of mrs Marple. Having the previous year read the entire canon of, Hercule Poirot (33 books in just about 7 months). Mrs Marple is not as engaging or as interesting as my little egg shaped head Belgian detective, by a country mile, in my opinion.

She is also at times, somewhat dislikable in character, which struck me as odd and unexpected. This is not to say that the plot and twist are any less impressive than the, Poirot novels, as they aren't. They can be wonderful. For example, 'the 4.50 from paddington' was a great example of what Christie does best. It's probably one of my favourite books, if only, Poirot, was investigating the case.

I would say that, Jane Marple is a shadow to Hercule Poirot. Maybe it is the exotic travelling and mobility of, Poirot, in the novels that creates a stronger story and more interesting characters than you find in Mrs Marple novels. It is very rare to find the story transcending its locations. The outsiders tend to gravitate towards mrs Marple and wherever she may find herself. In, Poirot, they do this too but then he also gravitates and moves towards the suspects too, as in the 'sign of four'.

I have learnt that I much prefer the Belgian detective over the mild mannered, english village snoop, who knows, 'human nature' and compares most cases to different members of the village of, St Mary Mead. It's a personal thing. I don't dislike, Mrs Marple either. I just haven't warmed to her as much as I did to, Hercule.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A nice sandwich for dinner

My relatives criminal Past....

Olympic Vomiting