Christmas. Invariably Marks The End.

One of the things I will, invariably, do over the christmas holiday is to take note of the yearly Obituaries. This year is no different. The list are usually, listed as, 'Notable People', because, obviously, un-notable people die too! I suppose I prefer the term, 'notable', to 'Celebrity'. Notable is a far more acceptable term to me, as it implies, a person of note, who has achieved something of worth. Celebrity, tends to be a description of someone, who is both vacuous & dead behind the eyes.

However, this year, I have just read my first one on the BBC website. And as always happens, I come across one person that I look at, and think, No, surely not. Please, no. 

This year; Nigel Terry. Here follows, great shouts of...Nigel who?? (And then tell yourself off, for not knowing who he was!).

If, as I happen to be, you are into the rich and wonderful myths that this country has produced since the dark ages then you will know, King Arthur. I think of all the myths/folklore he is perhaps the most outstanding one. Even people, with no interest will perhaps respond to the question; have you heard of, King Arthur? with a, yes. Him and Robin Hood, maybe. No mention of the Fisher king, Bran the blessed, the Wounded King, and Taliesin.

But, where does, Nigel Terry, fit into this?

In the film, Excalibur, Nigel Terry played a young squire, Arthur, who looking to retrieve a sword for his brother, Kay, pulls from the stone the sword excalibur, becoming King Arthur. 

Distancing oneself from the appalling armour in the picture, somewhat doubtful that the period in which King Arthur is said to have been in and around, 5/6th Century. Smack, bang in the middle of the British Dark Ages, that he would possess a suit of armour as well made as that, opposite. 

However, This is, to me, what King Arthur would look like. Nigel Terry, was King Arthur, in words and bearing. In so many ways, this film whetted my appetite for, not only King Arthur and the grail, but the very origins of our myths and folklore. In no small part to that was the portrayal of, King Arthur, by Nigel Terry. 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A nice sandwich for dinner

My relatives criminal Past....

Olympic Vomiting